- 2 tablespoons oil (I use extra-virgin olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion (or more if you want)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth (Swanson brand low sodium is my favorite)
- 1 cup chunky salsa (whatever heat you like)
Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Mix rice into skillet, stirring often. When rice begins to brown, stir in chicken broth and salsa. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. **Be sure to watch the rice carefully or it is liable to burn.**
Start to finish: 30 min.
Recipe from allrecipes.com, with my adaptations...
This side is simply delicious. I'm actually making this tonight with some shredded chicken tacos.
p.s. Let me put a word in for the new movie Julie & Julia: It's super cute and fun to watch! :) I recommend it.